VP Global Health
The role of the Global Health team is to promote advocacy and education among students and the broader community on social justice and equity issues related to local, national, and international health. These include (but are not limited to) the areas of Indigenous Health, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Displaced Peoples Health, and Environmental Health. The portfolio works with other student groups, community organizations, faculty, and medical schools nationally and internationally on these issues and to promote Global Health events, curriculum, and learning opportunities.
VP Global Health Sr.
I am a second-year medical student interested in the social determinants of health. I first got involved with public and global health work during my undergrad, during which I pursued a fellowship in Strengthening Health & Social Systems. I am fortunate to have also been able to intern at The George Institute for Global Health in New Delhi, India. I care deeply about advancing health equity and social justice, working with and uplifting systemically excluded populations, and helping create a more inclusive healthcare system through ongoing reflection and meaningful actions. In my free time, I enjoy trying new foods, dancing, and spending time with friends and family.
1) Collaborate with the local Global Health team and national/international organizations to expand opportunities for students to learn about and get involved with global health (i.e., global health research and education, international electives/placements)
2) Focus on global health initiatives with a local impact, such as by advancing projects on, and advocating for, urban health, newcomer/migrant health, and Indigenous health and rights among other areas
3) Connect and establish long-term relationships with the VP EDI, UofT-based groups, and community organizations to collaborate on equity and global health-oriented initiatives
Year Plan and Goals
Reasons to Contact Me
1) To join or connect with global health efforts at UofT and beyond, including through the UofT Medical Society Global Health team, the Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS), and International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA).
2) To discuss and offer perspectives on global and public health issues of concern
VP Global Health Jr.
Hello! My name is Vidhi and I am a first year medical student and a recent graduate from McMaster University. There I delved into projects advancing reproductive health in marginalized communities, fueling my passion for equitable healthcare. Interning at The George Institute for Global Health in New Delhi this summer expanded my grasp of international health systems, solidifying my belief in our collective duty to champion inclusivity and accessible healthcare worldwide.
On a more personal note, I am always seeking new experiences. I love to play and watch basketball, trying out new cafes, dancing to Bollywood music, and spending time with friends and family.
Year Plans and Goals
Envision, Elevate and Excel
1.Coordinate workshops and seminars to understand the global health landscape and host strategizing sessions to reflect on what we can do as a UofT community to expand our global health initiatives.
2. Centralizing a database for engagement in local and global health initiatives and leveraging our local partner connections to get first hand experience within our community.
3. Facilitating collaboration and long-term relationships with other UofT groups/teams and Canadian and International institutions; work alongside VP EDI to prioritize equity and global-health oriented initiatives; working alongside other global health interest clubs at UofT and external nonprofits to maximize opportunities.
Reasons to Contact Me
1. To learn about, join or connect with the global health initiatives occurring within the UofT Medical Society, the Toronto community and beyond including the Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS) and International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA).
2. To discuss global or local health concerns of action items with the potential of collaborating on solutions. Let's work together to spark change!
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Pod
Streamline Communications Pod